||Thanks a lot to Petra Barth for the translation!
Odaly y Luis
e/ J.Peralta y L. Caballero
Tel. ++53 (24) 34 54 2
Price: 20 CUC
Description: I don't know this guesthouse personally (yet), but it was recommended by numerous people! I'd be glad to receive your feedback!
Gibara is a small fisher's village with several houses of colonial style on the northern coast of the Holguín province. A Casa Particular can be regarded as alternative to an accommodation in Guardalavaca although the beautiful beaches of Guardalavaca are not really close.
In the city
- As always I recommend to take some time to sit down in a park and to watch the local life, to enjoy the ambience. Furthermore Gibara shows many themes for extraordinary fotos
- Interesting are also the theatre (Teatro Colonial) and the Museum of decorative arts (Museo de Artes Decorativas) . From the house top of the museum you have an excellent view over Gibara and again we are talking about themes for fotos!
- Except for absolute sourpuss and these probably are the minority of people spending their vacations on an island in the Caribbean the relatively near beaches of Guardalavaca are a must for everybody. If you are lucky you can make the trip in on of the buses for the hotel staff of Gibara, otherwise you need to take a taxi (costs about 25-30 CUC both ways) or to rent a scooter or a car. The two latter choices are convincing, because they provide absolute flexibility and the chance to visit also other attractions nearby. The possibilities to catch a colectivo or a van to Guardalavaca are rather rare and a detour via Holguín would make it a two-day-trip
Arrival and departure
- ASTRO From Holguín there are at least two modern buses per day. Ideally you inform yourself at the ASTRO bus terminal in Holguín.
- Van/collective taxi From the surrounding major cities above all Holguín of course you can get there by collective taxis and vans.