||Thanks a lot to Petra Barth for the translation!
Casa Particular / B&B Camagüey
Jorge y Mercy
Padre Olajo (Pobre) #116-A
e/Independencía y San Pablo
Tel. +53 (32) 28 62 02
Mobile +53 52 62 69 80
Price: 20 CUC (low season), 25 CUC (high season - from November till April and July/August)
Description: In the heart of the city this friendly family lets the whole first floor of their house. It consists of a bedroom with a king-size bed and another smaller bed, air conditioning, ventilator at the ceiling, and a bathroom with hot and cold water. In addition, there is a dining room, also with ventilator and a fridge for your own use. A small terrace invites you to take some sun, read a book or enjoy breakfast in the sun. Not to forget the possibility to eat well and at moderate cost at Jorge‘s and Mercy‘s.
In the whole a very good tip, since the cost/performance ratio is extremely good, the family very friendly, and the highlights of Camagüey easy to reach by foot.
Reservation: Also posible by e-Mail
By the way - if the house of Jorge and Mercy is fully booked also the their daughter's house on the next corner is a recommendable place. Here just some fotos of the house. You can reserve this house also through Jorge y Mercy.
- Cubataxi (Telf. 28 12 47)
- Transtur (Telf. 27 10 15)
Camagüey is situated in the centre of Cuba and one of the older cities. In 2014 Camgüey will celebrate 500 years of fundation. It disposes of an extraordinarily large and well conserved historic centre, but also of a large modern part. Interesting churches, but above all nicely restored rows of houses and squares make the old town of Camagüey a real attraction. Inviting restaurants, bars, and cafés offer you to take a seat and watch the daily life in the street shown by this populous city. It should also be mentioned that the streets - partly constructed like a labyrinth in order to minimise plundering by pirates – are easy to explore by foot thanks to a for Cuba unique and very exemplary directory system.
In the city
- Main attraction of the town is without doubt the spacious historic centre and especially the restored places, churches and museums. The old town is crowded, therefore the sidewalk cafés, restaurants and bars are a good opportunity to enjoy the local ambience and to watch Cuban outdoor life. Don't forget to visit the "Plaza San Juan de Dios" and "Plaza de Carmen". In front of the Plaza Ignacio Agramonte you will find the Café Ciudad. A good place to enjoy one of the many tipes of coffee and to observe the local city life.
- It is also worth to visit the farmer's market of Camagüey, which is one of the biggest in Cuba and therefore offers a wide range of seasonal products. Food stalls also invite you, all prices are of course in CUP. So you have te opportunity to eat something small at a very well price. The market is situated a long the Carretera Central, opposite of the softdrink-factory (fabria de refrescos). You will walk about 15 to 20 minutes from the town centre. Maybe you catch a bicitaxi to get there.
- If the day is getting very hot, the swimming pool of the hotel “Gran Hotel” offers an opportunity to chill. The entrance fee is 6 CUC including 4 CUC for food and drinks. Another place to enter in a swimming place is called “Oxa”. You will find it a the street Républica in the city-center.
- In the evening the local "Casa de la Trova" is recommended, where live bands play every night. The entrance fee is 3 CUC per person including 2 CUC for consumption. The Casa de la Trova is situated at the corner of Martí and Cristo street, in front of the Parque Agramonte.
- If you prefer disco-music instead of the traditional, then I suggest you the discotec "El Caribe". A famous place since years. The entry costs 6 CUC, including 4 CUC for consumption. The discotec is located nearby the biggest park of the city, the "Casino Campestre". From the city centre you can get there also walking. Maybe you catch easier a bicitaxi to get there.
- The theatre offers further cultural activities, you should not only consider it as an object for a photo, but search its agenda.
All fans of water and beach should consider a day trip to the beaches of Santa Lucia at about 120 km distance. The most beautiful part is in my view the one called “La Boca” or “Los Cocos”. Fine white sand, palmtrees providing shadow, crystal clear water. With only a pair of goggles you already get an impression of the colourful underwater world. Two restaurants serve drinks and meals. The restaurant at left hand (seen from the water) with a pirate as symbol is highly recommendable. For about 7 CUC you get a big plate of grilled fish, rice, salad, and French fries. There are of course many other plates, also cheaper ones. Apart from the meal, the service was very attentive and friendly last time I visited the place.
Please let me draw your attention to one fact without discouraging you from this destination: Every morning at about 10 o'clock some sharks pass by. The beach guardian always makes everybody aware and people leave the water in order to be on the safe side, but the sharks never approach the beach. This early visit is a tradition, the local fishermen feed the animals at that time since years. No accident happened ever and the beach remains very attractive, even though the people of Camagüey directly let you know about the sharks…
You get to the beach either with a hire car (from 50 CUC per day) or with an official Cubataxi which costs 80 CUC both ways. The agency of Cubatur in Camagüey (Tel. 25 47 85 and 25 47 86) also offers the trip to the beach either without lunch (20 CUC) or lunch included (25 CUC). The trip only takes place if at least 4 persons book it, because also Cubatour orders a Cubataxi or a small bus for more people. If you stay alone in Camagüey without knowing anybody, but willing to share a car or taxi, get in touch with the Cubatur agency – if you are lucky a group of 4 persons gathers! In summer there is in addition the possibility to go there by one of the vans – that's much cheaper and very adventurous, even dangerous, since Cubans rarely return dry from the beach – preferably try Cubatour...
Cubatur also offers a trip to Finca Belen which is a small animal park with pool and restaurant. The trip is 35 CUC including a meal .
Camagüey - arrival and departure
- Railway All long-distance trains between Havanna and Santiago de Cuba, Guantánamo and Bayamo/Manzanillo stop in Camagüey. All local trains passing by Camagüey, too. The local trains thus connect Camagüey also with Santa Clara, Santiago de Cuba, Morón, Ciego de Avila, Bayamo, and Nuevitas. Camagüey is therefore a town very well accessible by train.
- VIAZUL This CUC bus company connects the cities of Havanna and Santiago de Cuba several times per day – all buses also stop in Camagüey. Also the express bus stops in Camagüey, therefore Santiago de Cuba can be reached without stop and Havanna with only one stop in Santa Clara . In addition the Viazul buses connect Camagüey also with Varadero and Trinidad . For most current information I direct you to the current timetable.
- Cubana offers flights between Camagüey and Havanna several times per week
- charter flights The airport of Camagüey is also a destination for charter flights
- Trucks and collective taxi connect Camagüey the surrounding towns.