Casa Particular / B&B Bayamo
Yiliam y Tony Losado
Av. Amado Estévez #67 (altos)
e/8 y A
Reparto Jesús Menéndez
Tel +53 (23) 42 91 27
Mobile +53 52 71 90 85
Price: 25 CUC
Note: Well placed between the historical downtown and the modern side of the city, quite near the bus station, Yilian and Tony rent two modern rooms. Both rooms have air conditioning, fans, TV sets, refrigerator and independent bathrooms with hot and cold water. Room No.1 has a double bed (an optional small bed may be added); room No.2 has a double bed and another smaller bed. Family space as the living room may be also used. There is a welcoming terrace with a small swimming pool and a semi-open dinning room with a bar. I do always recommend eating in rent houses; I am sure you will like it too.
Reservation: Also possible by e-Mail (Spanish and English)
The capital of Granma province played an important role in Cuba history. This is one of the first Cuban cities, founded in November 5th, 1513. Struggles against Spanish colonialism began here. Nowadays Bayamo is a very active city with a couple of sites which are worth a visit, one is the cathedral. From a touristic point of view the city is important given its proximity to Sierra Maestra and Pico Turquino, the highest mountain of Cuba.
In the city of Bayamo
- I suggest a long walk by the historical downtown as well as by the modern side. It is better to take a bicitaxi since all places are not nearby. A journey in a bicitaxi for one to two hours will cost around 5 CUC per person.
- Bayamo has an interesting nocturnal life. Yiliam and Toni may advice you about the most popular sites to visit. I specially like Casa de la Trova. It is located in the corner of Marti and Maceo streets. It is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 12:00 p.m. till 1:00 a.m. If you happen to be on a Saturday in Bayamo don´t you miss the big party, Noches de la Cubanía Bayamesa. From 6:00 p.m. till dawn there are kiosks with dinner, drinks and music. Almost all Bayamo people are gathered here; very authentic. Besides it is very near Casa de Yiliam and Tony; in few minutes you may also reach La Plaza Grande located in Calle Amado Estevez e/Avenida Maceo y Línea.
Excursions around Bayamo
- Sierra Maestra: Comandancia de la Plata. That is, of course, the most common excursion for tourists visiting Bayamo. During this journey you visit the Headquarter of the Ejercito Rebelde (Cuban revolutionaries such as Fidel Castro, Che and Raul). You will have a three hours hike through a mountain trail. So you should have strong shoes. You will also need to be physically fit because there are many ascents and descents on the way. Most houses in La Comandancia are rebuilt. Fidel´s house is in original condition. Usually one can see just one of the many houses because they are far away and some of the houses are always in repair. Apart from the visit to this historical site, the route is beautiful due to the nature of Cuban mountains. Reaching El Alto del Naranjo is another adventure given its amazing way full of big mountains. Getting to Hotel Santo Domingo requires a car with good technical conditions. To take people to El Alto del Naranjo there are special cars. It is better to book beforehand for this excursion. The excursion starts in Hotel Santo Domingo. The office of ECOTUR is here; the company that offers the tour. The excursion costs 35 CUC per person what includes the entry to the National Park, a guide, transport to El Alto del Naranjo in round-trip from Hotel Santo Domingo as well as a light snack (a sandwich and a 500ml bottle of water).
- Sierra Maestra: Pico Turquino. Climbing the highest Cuban mountain is not an easy task. For years it has been said that every Cuban should climb El Pico Turquino once in his lifetime. Guides tell that there are always groups arriving but only a couple or none of them succeed in reaching the top of this mountain. First stage is from El Alto del Naranjo to the dormitory, what should take around five hours of walk. Distance is only 8 kilometers. Here one sleeps and next day continues to the top; it´s 5 km. There is not, unfortunately, a clear sight from the top due to a dense vegetation. So you should enjoy the going up and going down on the way. When coming down you pass again the dormitory to El Alto del Naranjo. In the second day one walks about 10 to 12 hours. Depending on time some occasions one gets to the top in the first day and then stays that night in the camp when coming back. Another possibility is going to the coast by your own since the guides always return to El Alto del Naranjo. Once in the coast it is quite difficult to find a transport for return. This must be arranged in advance. Excursion costs 75 CUC per person, including the entry to the National Park, the guide, sleeping in the camp, dinner, breakfast and a transport from Hotel Santo Domingo to El Alto del Naranjo in round-trip. You should bear in mind that this is a very tough journey, not a dominical walk. You´ll need strong shoes!
- Manzanillo. It is the second city of Granma province. It deserves a visit too if you have plenty of time. From Bayamo one can get there in a taxi or, more exciting, in a collective taxi or truck. There are many transport options between the two cities, so you don´t have to wait so long. More information about this city may be found on Cuba-individual about Manzanillo.
Bayamo - arrival and departure
- Viazul. Bayamo is in the route Havana-Santiago de Cuba. So there are many buses directly from Santiago in the east to cities such as Havana, Trinidad, Varadero, etc., to the west. Here is the current schedule.
- Aerocaribbean. It has two weekly flights between Havana and Bayamo. It is always advisable to buy tickets beforehand. This can be directly done with Aerocaribbean.
- Trucks/collective taxis. They circulate between Bayamo and near cities such as Manzanillo, Las Tunas, Holguín and Santiago de Cuba. Taxis: State and private taxis are the most appropriate way to travel but the most expensive as well. A trip between Bayamo and Holguin or Las Tunas may cost 30 to 40 CUC, while Bayamo to Santiago costs 60 to 70 CUC.